Only 10 more days until Jr. Nationals! This week we put together a list of all the fun and exciting things to look forward to.
- Opening Ceremonies: Tulsa is a hub for Native American culture so to kick-off Jr. Nationals American Indian dancers will be performing! Also, after opening ceremonies there will be a local band playing red-dirt, so grab your dancing partner and get ready to two-step.
- Ultimate Warrior Boot Camp: This obstacle course is 30 minutes of fun for all ages. Stock-Show U developed a course of activities that have Juniors work together as a team to compete for the prize!
- Mentor Apprentice: This is a great activity for new members to learn about the Association and meet new people. This includes a set of activities, event one will be “Inspiring you to fly Q&A” This will include partners getting to know each other and then each mentor will work with their apprentice on how to fill out the livestock judging score card for the judging contest. The second event will include selling model airplanes for $20. The buyers have the opportunity to win a Sullivan’s Cadillac Chute but the mentor apprentice team who sells at least 2 airplanes will be put in a drawing to win an IPod touch.
- Sock Drive: Bring your socks to opening ceremonies! Make sure it’s a new pair or a package of socks. This is a great way to help those in need in the Tulsa area, the socks will be donated to harvest house. PLUS the top 5 states will earn points toward outstanding junior association. The socks will be calculated by the percentage of exhibitors from each state for final placings.
- Awards: we have some awesome awards this year, including engraved cups for class winners, and either a hide camp stool or belt buckle for division winners. The banners are also amazing (just take our word for it!)
- Snapchat filters: This year we’re going to have some super cool filters to liven up your selfies!
- Flight Simulator: Get ready for an awesome photo opportunity! Get the chance to sit in a cock-pit just like a pilot!
- Pioneer Woman: If you love this Food Network star take a road-trip to her store, the Pioneer Woman Mercantile, which is only about an hour drive outside of Tulsa, in Pawhuska.
- Splash pad: For Shorthorn Sidekicks, kids ages 8 and under get to play in a splash pad on the fairgrounds for one of the activities! Parents be sure to pack a swimsuit or extra change of clothes for your little ones and email email@example.com to sign them up!
- Get in some ‘Bites’: Tulsa has so many amazing restaurants to choose from, with a variety of authentic Tex-Mex to unique steakhouses. Emily, the Youth Activities Intern recommends Ted’s café Escondido for Tex-Mex and our very own Executive Secretary/CEO Montie recommends The Spudder to be your go-to place for a good steak.
- Meeting us: We have all been working so hard to make sure your “flight experience” at NJSS is perfect and we can’t wait to meet you all!
The theme this year is based off of the movie, Top Gun so we are Taking Flight with Red, Roan, and White; pack your aviators and flight suits…NJSS Airways is about to take off!
Remember to use the hashtags #NJSS17 and #SoaringWithShorthorns in all of your social media posts!