The American Shorthorn Association (ASA) and the American Junior Shorthorn Association (AJSA) seek individuals interested in a full-time paid summer internship. ASA will be selecting 3 individuals for the 2018 summer internships. This is an outstanding opportunity to attain training and work experience in a breed association atmosphere. The intern will assist with programs of the ASA and AJSA activities, such as the planning and execution of the National Junior Shorthorn Show & Youth Conference, including but not limited to press releases, creative design work, media contact, social media, photography, videography, correspondence with planning committees, and data entry input and organization. We will select registrations, communications and youth activities intern.
Qualifications of all interns:
- Should be a junior or senior in college
- Livestock or agricultural background preferred
- Must have interest in working in agricultural related field after college
- Self-motivated, professional, detail-oriented, outgoing and energetic
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office programs.
- Communication, Marketing and/or Public Relations skill preferred
- Travel to NJSS and KEY Conference required (all travel to any sanctioned ASA events will be paid)
- Position is held in Kansas City, MO
- Internship beginning and ending dates are variable upon applicant availability with school (Start in May right after classes until mid-July)
- Living arrangements are responsibility of applicant, however ASA will be of assistance in location.
- Compensation is gross $1,500/month
- Must do the following listed and all else as required.
- Agricultural major
- Will assist with entries and registrations for NJSS
- Including fixing wrong entries, following up to make sure entries are correct and answering questions
- This will take up much of your time until nationals
- Will assist with check-in preparation and be in charge of helping with the show program. Will assist while at the show with show related items.
- Order back numbers
- Help put together exhibitor envelopes
- Tasks to assist in preparing for NJSS
Youth Activities Intern:
- Agricultural Communications major preferred
- Will assist the director of youth activities with organization and planning of NJSS
- This includes contest planning and preparation, contacting judges, helping with direction of the junior board.
- Help registrations intern with formatting the show program at show
- Will assist with contests while at NJSS. Make sure junior board instructions are clear and lend a hand when needed.
- Could include: timing, helping judges, telling people where to go, etc.
- Update show results on the website
- Put together exhibitor folder
- Adobe experience preferred but not required
- Agricultural Communications major required
- Will be in charge of planning and scheduling social media for ASA, AJSA, and NJSS. (AJSA will also be done by junior board public relations chair)
- Will assist director of communications in researching promotional items.
- Includes helping with design and finding where to go with printing items
- Help with graphic design ideas
- Press releases
- Website updates if needed
- Photography/Videography while at NJSS
- Must have experience with Adobe programs. May be asked for work samples before final selection.
Those interested in applying for internship please email/mail the following to email@example.com by November 16, 2018
- Cover Letter
- At least 3 references (2 previous employers and 1 advisor)
American Shorthorn Association
7607 NW Prairie View Rd
Platte Woods, MO 64151
Application deadline is November 16, 2018
Please direct any questions to Shelby Rogers at the ASA at 816.599.7777 or firstname.lastname@example.org